PGD (Embryo Biopsy)
Infertility Treatments – PGD (Embryo Biopsy)
PGD ( Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis ) procedure is performed 3 days after the ICSI. When the embryos reach 8 cell-stage, one cell will be taken out from each embryo. These cells will be analyzed in the patalogy department for diseases which may result from family history, genetical conditions, etc, .Upon the PGD, the doctors will place healthiest embryos back to the uterus, exactly 2cm below the uterine cavity to get the best pregnancy chance.
- Introduced 16 years ago, PGD has now been performed in at least 10.000 cycles, with the majority applied for selection and transfer of eploid embryos in assisted reproduction.
- PGD allows the avoidance of birth of children with inherited disease without risk of pregnancy termination.
- PGD improves implantation and pregnancy rates in poor prognosis IVF treatment.
- PGD reduced over four-fold spontaneous abortion in carriers of chromosomal translocations.
- PGD application is currently expanding to testing for late onset disorders and producing HLA matched offspring , as potential donors for siblings requiring HLA identical stem cell transplantation
- PGD provides access to human embryonic stem cell lines with normal and abnormal genotypes, allowing research on the primary disease mechanisms, to develop treatment regiments for genetic disorders, which are unavailable at present.
PGD for medical conditions can be done in Istanbul, Turkey.